Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Birthday!

To the years that have gone by....oh so fast. As I'm sitting here, my head is full of wonderful memories. My brother Dave, and I, were born on the same day (May 10th) -- but four years apart. Wow! Shouldn't that have been recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records or Ripley's Believe It Or Not? It's funny, looking at our picture below, we could have been twins; or at least in close running. My brother and I were talking last night about which picture I should post. This isn't it -- sorry Dave. The picture we thought would be great to post is of he and I blowing out birthday candles. Unfortunately I couldn't find it, hopefully I will someday as it's one of my favorites. This picture was taken in April of '63. That is 1963, for any younger visitors -- hee hee. And yes, we did actually have TV. It was black and white -- but that's another story.



My friend Joan, and I, have often spoke of creating happy memories. I have so many tucked away, and I hold them very dear to my heart. I can't imagine what life would've been like growing up without Dave. My Mom told me that I used to think Dave was mine, I think I believe that. We went everywhere together with our trusty dog Torro. Even before Dave started to school, I remember heading home excited about sharing the day. We'd play school in the furnace/laundry room. Another time I remember, we were watching a show on our old Philco TV, sitting there on the ottoman having a few potato chips. Dave would eat his fast -- one after another, I'd eat mine slower, savoring then devouring. I'd get on his case "Eat them like this, slow, one at a time," I'd say! He'd ignore me, just like he does now ;-) . I think I really wanted them to last a long time, or at least untill the show ended.

This picture (above) is our most recent . "Funny" it was also taken in April, but of 2007. We were celebrating Dave's daughter's wedding. I think we've held up pretty good over the years -- for 50 and 46. Now another year older -- yes wiser -- maybe.

Life brings simple pleasures,

To us everyday.

Its up to us;

To make wonderful memories.

Cathy Allen

Let's keep creating happy memories - Happy Birthday...maybe we can celebrate together next year. Lord willing.

I have one last quote I love: My life has a superb cast, but I can't figure out the plot. Ashleigh Brilliant (b.1933)

2 comments:

D said...

Happy Day to you, Vicky! you have blessed me...D. (I have all I can do NOT to bake that yummy apple cake..today it's a toss between an ice cream cake w/ PB cookie crust, or a rhubarb pie....It's A's dad's birthday tomorrow, and he loves pie...I once made him a sign for his room that says...#'pie fixes everything'#. Then again, he loves ice cream and PB cookies...If only life consisted of such silly choices....but we can pretend!! :)

Becky said...

Happy Birthday to both you and your brother!