Sunday, August 10, 2008

Hi Kids,

Well I have nothin. . . .

It's Sunday again, I can't believe another week has gone by. Today it feels kind of Fallish. Is this even a word? I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. It's much to early for it but very pleasant indeed. My husband said I even have the perfect music playing. Maybe, when I figure things out blog wise, I'll have music on my blog.

I've been so busy - - - - working inside and outside. Doing everything! From weeding to packing, even polishing rims. Long story. My new unofficial - official title is Jill of all trades, hee hee. It just sounds better than Jack. A couple things of that I've done this week, in between everything else is; picking and drying more blueberries. I started some blueberry vinegar, for a salad I saw. The vinegar takes about 10 - 12 days in the frig. I also made another batch of scones. This recipe was gluten free. It is excellent. I've had many gluten free baked goods and wanted to try baking something myself to see the difference to wheat flour. So Nicole this recipe is for you, though you may have already tried one.


I'm hoping when things get back to normal, and I will too.

Gluten Free Blueberry Hazelnut Scones


Pre-heat oven 400 degrees

Ingredients:

1- 1/4 cup of GF Surgham Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)

1/2 Tapioca Flour

1 tsp Xanthan Gum

1/4 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. Baking Soda*

1 -1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar * see note

4 Tbsp butter cold and cut in slices

2/3 cups of Yogurt low fat or other (I used whole)

1 large egg

1/2 cup dried blueberries

1/2 cup chopped med. fine Hazelnuts (I just happen to have)

2 Tbsp of 1/2 &1/2, whole cream or the white of one egg with a little milk for brushing tops

course raw sugar* (I have this around to sprinkle on tops)

I placed all dried ingredients in bowl. Stirred together. Then put in butter slices and cut into (mix with pastry blender or to knives). It should resemble crumbs. You can of course use a food processor but I like mixing the old fashioned way.

Stir in dried blueberries and nuts. Make a well. Combine egg and yogurt, pour into the well and lightly fold from the outside in till it all comes together. Don't over work it. The pastry will seem a little lighter or fluffier than flour. I scooped equal spoons and placed on lightly oiled cookie sheet. (or sprayed) It makes 6 large scones. It was a little sticky but smooth top and around the sides a bit, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar if you are using.

I baked 18 -20 minutes til golden or as in photo. Use your best judgement, ovens tend to be different. Cool on wire rack.

*I didn't have cream of tartar and wasn't sure what to you and didn't really know that much about it. So I search and found that if you have a recipe that calls for cream of tartar and soda, you can substitute baking powder for both. In other words don't use either and use baking powder. Making up the difference in quantity. This recipe calls for 3/4 tsp soda and 1-1/2 cream of tartar. You would use 2-1/4 tsp baking powder. I used 2 tsp of baking powder and it worked.

No comments: