Friday, May 1, 2009

Shalom

I don't want to sound like a broken record. . . sometimes it's hard not to do. This spring the blossoms and blooms came out later this year than last. Last year the weeping cherry was thick with beautiful blossoms at this time - this year hardly and there seems to be a mix of blossoms and leaves. I didn't get to my flower bed either and boy it needs it. I've mentioned to many people that the outside of the house is starting to look like the Munster's! LOL For me I need blinders and learn to recognize my limitations. Not that I'm professing to be old - I'm just starting to feel a bit warn. 

Have you been feeling this way?

I bought a book a number of years back and I think I'll get it out of the packed box to read it. You may have heard of it or have read it; "Women Who Do Too Much" by Patricia Sprinkle. I bought it for my sister but for some reason never gave it to her. Maybe the Lord had intended for me to read first.

Chapter one captured my attention; "Women in frantic search of Shalom." Shalom: A Hebrew word used to mean both "hello" and "goodbye;" literally, it means "peace." I think somewhere I have lost my peace. Yesterday, I said to my husband that its definite - I'm a Martha! I need to be a Mary! I need to get my lavender stress pouches going! [they really do work] I need to do what I preach! - What I need is to exercise patience and trust the Lord more.

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27

Exercise is an action (doing) word as well as the word trust. Action words or verbs means doing or putting into motion - 'something is required', as in all relationships. Exercising my patience and trusting the Lord; means I have to do something - like really giving everything up to Him, diving into His word - not looking at the circumstances surrounding us day to day. Believing His promises - praying through . . . You could literally go on and on . . .

A verb denotes an action, occurrence, or state of existence [a state of being] according to Webster.  

AGAIN - Exercising my patience and trusting the Lord; means I have to do something - like really giving everything up to Him, diving into His word - not looking at the circumstances surrounding us day to day. Believing His promises - praying through . . . You could literally go on and on . . .

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27

What action then should I take / should you take?

Mary sat at Jesus feet,
[PEACEFUL]
Martha stressed -
fixing food to eat.
Mary's choice was better -
you'll see.
For life is more than,
mere food -
and doings!
VLB 5/1/09

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6

Added May 11, 2022
Shalom [Hebrew word meaning peace, harmony, wholeness, completeness, prosperity, welfare and tranquility and can be used idiomatically to mean both hello and goodbye.] What a wonderful word and what God has for all of us who believe in Him and trust in the validity of His Word. Shalom Vicky

1 comment:

Becky said...

I loved the writing for today. It was a perfect birthday gift - very timely as I am feeling very stressed and Martha-like.

Thanks SO much!