Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Are you up for a little conversation?


I’ve been listening to Janine Turner and her bits on getting back to having /starting conversations with others.  We have gotten away from just sharing regardless of our beliefs and opinions.   Janine (Northern Exposure for those who remember or watched she played Maggie O’Connell), started short video clips she calls “Front Porch Philosophy” to encourage others away from focusing on all the negative things we see on the news etc.  By turning off the TV, unhealthy noise and garbage by striking up conversations, using our minds – simply talking again with one another – well you get the idea.  It’s been fun; enjoyable.  And, that’s something we all could benefit from.  Especially me!

One thing I’ve always found interesting is that people don’t seem to think much about things anymore or at least it appears that way, it’s become all about ME.  You could ask them about something and they haven’t a clue or rather couldn’t be bothered to even think on it.  Another would be the “fear” of confrontation, Lord forbid you have an opinion that defers.  Much to my chagrin, that happens most of the time in this ever-changing culture of ours and from those pushing tolerance, thinking they have it.  Have we truly forgot what it is to just talk and enjoy just having a conversation with others; respecting one another and what we may have to share?  Believing that someone is important enough to hear what’s on their heart and minds regardless the differences you have?  Sad.

One of the things I miss the most with Jim’s passing is the ability to have a conversation.  Just sitting and talking - I honestly took that for granite while he was here, thinking he was still going to be here.  We had our share of disagreements but that wasn’t a big deal.  Most things we agreed on and the things we didn’t kept things interesting.  He is very missed.

I went to lunch with a friend and was asked how I was doing?  For the most part I think I do ok, however, I do have not so awesome days.  We spoke of grieving that people go through and I was asked about anything I might be reading on grieving that was helping, (that’s to the best of my memory).  I believe a said no – that I actually was reading Tozer.  Of course that isn’t what my friend was referring to but I have been enjoying it and A. W. Tozer’s (1897-1963) writings are very thought provoking.  I have a number of books I haven’t even opened and Jim had tons he did open!  Tozer Speaks volume one and two are just a couple that is on Jim’s bookshelves and I’m hoping to make the time to read more often.  Possibly another lost art like having a conversation is enjoying books.  In a different way I think it has been helpful.  Reading Tozer that is ~ J and for the moment it’s good to think on things that are thought provoking and interesting.

Here is one I’d like to share that had me thinking. 

Chapter 5
A COMING DAY WHEN GOD WILL NO LONGER LOVE LOST MEN

THOU ART THE COVERING cherub…. Thy wisdom and beauty were created in thee in the day thou wast created.” 
            Consider the fact that there was a day when God loved the devil as He now loves the angels and archangels---because at the time He saw in the devil traces and proofs of His own wisdom.
            I believe God loved that being because it was, not an image of Himself, as man is, but a reflection of what God could do and an evidence of His artistry---His moral artistry, and His omniscience, too.
            But the devil sinned.
            The devil sinned in a way not quite like man’s sin.  He sinned in some way that erased forever everything of which God could be proud and in which God could rest, so that God no longer loved the devil.      
            He sent no redeemer for him.  There isn’t anything in Satan that could remind God of Himself. 
            The last trace of that which might have reminded God of Himself has been washed out in the filthy bilge water of iniquity that century has added to century.  God no longer loves the devil.
            Now, this is my speculation, and if you don’t agree, let’s not fall out over it.
            I believe the time will come when God will no longer love lost men.
            God loves all lost men now---in prisons, in asylums, in saloons, in houses of ill fame.  He loves them now because the last trace has not been erased, and He still remembers that His Son on the tree had a body like theirs.
            The day will come when he that is filthy will be getting filthier still---and therefore, the day will come when lost man will no longer be loved by God Almighty.
            God grieves over lost men now because man can still pray and believe and hope and dream and aspire, and there is still something to remind Him of the Man who died on the tree.  But when that is all gone, there will be nothing left for God to pour His love upon.
            What a warning to a man selling out to sin and to the transfiguring power of evil and iniquity, which in the end makes him a devil and not a man---and thus beyond the love of God!  A. W. Tozer (Tozer Speaks vol.1 chap.5)

Truly something to think on and perhaps for you will spark a little conversation with someone.  I wonder if Janine Turner has read Tozer?  Maybe I’ll forward this along ~

What ever you may have going on in your life at this very moment, I know without a doubt God has an extended hand right now for you.  Things look bad – they are bad why deny it.  I do struggle daily myself but I can’t stay there by dwelling.  I give it up to Him who has the answers.  And, whether or not you have a relationship with God there is a real enemy so evil that isn’t going to let up.   He will do whatever he can to keep you from trusting or seeing the truth, by relying on yourself anything that separates you from God.  The only saving grace you /we have is a Heavenly Father, for now, if you accept His gift.  And if you have – well start up a conversation, enjoy that front porch idea – and shut out the junk.  Philippians 4:8-9


If perhaps you are interested in the short clips by Janine Turner you can find them on Youtube.  All different - here's today's.


She also does God on the go minute.


This might not be your cup of tea but I enjoy seeing what others are doing and are interested in and if for no other reason I hopefully shared enough to take your mind off some things and possibly encouraged you to do the same.  Vicky 

Oh and the deep breathes help! :)

No comments: