Thursday, December 7, 2017

My Anniversary ~


Wednesday – Yesterday was my thirty-ninth wedding anniversary - we were in fact married on a Wednesday in 1978.  We were young; Jim was young.  When we met I always imagined him older than me, rather, he carried himself as if he were.  We had met at J C Penney’s where we both worked.  He would tell you when he first saw me sitting in the office upstairs, that when he was walking down the hall and looking in my direction it was love at first sight.  I always chuckled when he would tell that story.  Jim though was being truthful.  This all happened in the year of 1978. 

I was a temp in the office while someone was out on leave and the management were pleased enough with me that they offered me a job on the floor in the Women’s Department.  Jim worked in the Men’s across the way so earlier in spring that year when I moved to the floor we spoke a few times on different occasions before he went off to boot camp.  

When he got back in August we spotted each other in Valley West Mall (now no longer there).  I was heading to lunch - he was heading towards Penneys.  We crossed paths and Jim ended up going to lunch with me.  I couldn’t believe it seeing him.  He was always very strong looking to begin with but wow!  Anyway, we headed to Old Roma! We sat in the mall just out from where we ordered at a table in front and Marty who we both knew was cleaning the tables off, I think he was the owner.  He said, “So you two know each other?”  Jim answered, “Oh yah in fact we’re getting married!”  Marty with a surprised look goes, “No way!”  And looking at me I said, “Yes it’s true!”  I have to add Jim was surprised that I played along.  So we started dating.  Jim was always the romantic while we were dating.  Sometimes I would use his car to get home after work and sitting on the drivers seat would be a present all wrapped in pretty paper.  Sometimes it would be flowers.  



We dated just a few short months before he asked me to marry him.  He took me out to dinner at La Rosa (at the time we loved Mexican food but not so much now,) and I said yes.  A few days afterwards we were talking about apartments and such, making our plans, I happened to ask how old are you?  He told me eighteen.  My mind was jumping around like crazy with doubts.  Which I’m certain he knew since he jumped right in to reassure me.  As I said earlier he always came across “older.” Jim was more mature than most and three years younger really isn’t a thought.  Or at least it disappeared and we were married.  Being the romantic on our fifth or close to it, wedding anniversary Jim planned with friends from our little fellowship a wedding.  It was to be a surprise, I went to get ready for church pulling something out of the closet he said, “Oh don’t wear that, and wear this today you always look pretty in it.”  So I did.  We got to church and I was speechless - that is hard for me!  Pastor Neil re-married us and his daughter had a wedding cake our close friends were there and our three little boys, it was wonderful!  We didn’t have a wedding before.  Wednesday was our day off, we went to the Justice of The Peace, my brother and friend were there to witness; my brother though was only seventeen so the judge had his secretary step in to witness.  We headed back to Jim’s folks had some sandwiches and moved into our apartment.   We were beat but went to work the next day.  We never had a honeymoon so what he did was very special to me.



Jim is truly very much missed by me, he would always make me laugh and he would say that of me.  He would tell me I looked pretty and meant it even if I knew I really didn’t look great that day.  Was he perfect? No.  Jim would be first tell you of his many short comings and mistakes he regretted but the one thing I know is he was a man that loved the Lord.  Honestly, when we first started dating I was a mess, mentally.  I wasn’t a happy person and lived with many deep regrets.  One day we went walking through a park and while we sat for a while he told me all about myself, things that he would never have known.  That was God speaking.  It was His Holy Spirit speaking through Jim; to me.  Jim was a Christian for a long time and giving his life to the Lord at eight.  Who said out of the mouth of babes? :) 

I always went to church with my one grandmother as a youngster, I always believed in God but never really comment my life as by asking Him into my heart.  After we were married I did and that changed everything.  Jim’s mom was never happy about us getting married she had other plans for Jim.  The one thing she said to me that I can agree with is that Jim saved me.  Not as the Lord mind you, he did by leading me to Him, and I will always be so very grateful. 


So I’m thinking of Jim and missing him.  I’m remembering his silliness and dry sense of humor, I’ve been reading notes he’s written everywhere, I’m thinking of how he prayed with tears for others, I’m reminded of who he was, just a man that wasn’t perfect and not to be put up on a pedestal.  But someone I loved that loved the Lord loved his sons, daughter and grandbabies and loved me.  He lived most of his life sick and now he’s better. 




Happy Anniversary Jim!  December 6, 1978 ~  With Love Always, Vicky

No comments: