Thursday, May 8, 2008

BusyDays

The kiss of the sun for pardon,

The song of the birds for mirth,

One is nearer God's heart in a garden

Than anywhere else on earth.~

Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"




I took these pictures today. The lighting was awful; so you really can't see the vivid color. Beautiful shades of greens and the Hawthornes blooms. Beautiful. I took them nonetheless, if for no other reason then to remind me just how very busy I was. We have a number of beds around our house; this truly is my only flower bed. It had been neglected for a couple years and boy what a job! I won't neglect it again. It's taken me a couple days or so of weeding. The conditions to do so were perfect. The soil was still a bet damp and easy to work with. The temperature outside was awesome. I have some more left to do but not to much. Thank the Lord.
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it. ~Author Unknown
Last year it was looking pretty pathetic, so much so, that my young friend Monica asked, "What kind of garden is this anyway?" then ask - "Fairy?" I had to tell her is was a whatever garden! he he - So needless to say I'm very pleased with how it is at the moment.
No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden. ~Hugh Johnson
I enjoyed being out there even with the hard work. My back is killing me to no end. (out of shape) But to feel the warmth of the sun and cool breeze, as well as hear the beautiful song birds - it was all worth it. It gave me time to myself and to the Lord.
You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt. ~Author Unknown
I'll post more pictures later and hopefully with sunnier skies and flowers blooming.
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace

For some good gardening tips check out; Up Beet Gardener .

1 comment:

D said...

V... an oft heard quote, but one of my favorites. My Narnie J. loved it, and had a little plaque in here garden on which it was written...Your 'fairie' garden looks splendid. Which tree do they hide in? Our yard is a riot of chaos and blooms..not to mention all the strawberry plants A. is trying to nurture....I run outside and pick a few flowers each day, if possible...most of my tending lately is of the human kind, but must admit to dozens of tomato plants in the green house(what were we thinking?!)