Saturday, August 2, 2008

Just Hello.

It’s been several days since I posted. The last post of course, was sharing the beautiful morning I had picking blueberries. I could probably try a poetic start like, “Amongst the piles of belongings (just stuff) that are in disarray to what seems like an endless maze of boxes.” I’d really prefer talking about something else then packing. Moving tends to be a pain anyway you slice it. And, when you’re older, nah, I won’t go there. So if you could indulge me, back to some berry talk. I decided to try something different this year than from the previous years of just freezing. Drying.
I dried the blueberries in the oven and to my surprise they turned out pretty well. My husband is going to make a dehydrator for us to use next time -which I’m hoping will be soon for there still plenty to pick. You can make them easily out of many things from just using a light bulb to something solar. There are many ideas on the Internet. One plan I found is making them out of cardboard boxes and since we seem to have plenty lying around I thought it would be a good place to start. Storage should be easy with the blueberries being dried and the shelf life is indefinite. I read this recently on drying. I think it's great and the uses are endless. Well almost. I made blueberry scones yesterday and used dried blueberries instead of fresh. I like it much better. Our youngest son Aaron was here and he thought they were great, if fact he thought they were the best scones he’s ever had. I have to agree. Recipe follows. Blueberries are so good for you and there are other recipes I’d like to try. One is Blueberry vinegar for a salad I saw. So I definitely have to go and get more, the berries need to be fresh.
Our eldest Mat loves blueberries: he could tell you that there packed full of antioxidants that are good for you. I try as often as I can to send him a a care package when he's out to sea. The berries will be a nice surprise for him to since they're healthy and easy to store. Being that there's limited space on a sub. And, with postage the way it is; the idea of less weight is very appealing and dried blue berries seemed to be just the ticket.

Lastly ~ if you’re ever stress about something. Like moving, here's what I did today. I took all my lavender from a previous harvest; since I wasn't to sure they’d make the move. It was on to the next best and very smart thing. I made stress packs. Ha. Or should I say stress free packs. I removed all the buds from the stocks and placed them in muslin sacks. This did take some time but I can tell you I wasn’t stress at all for the entire time. However, I need to say the very best thing is to give your cares and concerns to the Lord. Be thankful for all things and in all situations.

1 Thessalonians 5 16-18 Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.

~

Blueberry Scones



2 cups flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup of blueberries (dried)

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces

2/3 cup heavy cream (you can use half and half or buttermilk)

Egg mixture for brushing tops of scones:

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 tbsp milk


In a large bowl I put all the dry ingredients, including the dried berries. If using fresh or frozen berries don't put them in at this time. Mix together, then put in butter and blend together with a pastry cutter, or two knives etc. Whatever works for you. When it resembles coarse crumbs your fresh or frozen berries would go in at this point, add cream. Stir just until the dough comes together without over mixing. You can lightly knead in bowl or turnout onto a lightly floured surface. I then rolled out dough into a square to about 3/4 - 1" in height. Cut cut to make 4 squares then cut each square into 2 triangles. Place on a baking sheet line with parchment or lightly oiled. Brush on milk and egg white mixture. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes.

This morning Sat. August 2,08; I made another batch so I could post a photo. This batch I used wheat pastry flour and half & half. I also forgot the sugar and had to knead it in. I was bummed but, they turn out light and yummy as the first. The first batch was creamier. Both turned out and were excellent.

No comments: