Monday, February 12, 2018

Valentines ~


I wanted to share my thoughts when I first found them, yes - Valentines of mine.  My gram saved my old little greetings they no longer seem to make.  In Pennsylvania we’d say from school chums and how sweet they are to see.  She also had a few of my dad’s tucked away. 

I can’t speak for all my elementary class, but I had fun decorating my shoebox to set on my desk to receive cards in.  I had fun picking the cards I wanted to give and handing them out too.  For a kid it was a lot of fun - true I think for all of us, and we did have a little party.             

As time went by and I grew older it changed.  We moved and I know longer had my school chums.  I did make a few friends, but it wasn’t the same and I found myself unhappy.   A story for another time ~ 

People everywhere have celebrated Valentine's Day in some form or another.  The idea of giving someone you love or interested in a card with possibly a gift is sweet.  I’m not quite sure how handing out cards started and still are, as when I was young – I’ll save that for another time, as well.  But mostly people think of love  .   .   .   . is in an affectionate way, romantically even lustful and the latter seems to cheapen what love really should be.  I imagine that would depend on what one believes.  

To me love in the truest form is lasting, it’s being able to forgive what someone would deem unforgivable in most standards.  It’s truly caring and putting someone (others) before yourself - being selfless. 

I guess a question we could ask is, “What is Love?”

Of course, I'm not referring to when you first meet someone and have that physical attraction for each other which sometimes is even one sided unless or until things change.  That's how most relationships seem to start.  I'm referring to a kind of love that is more meaningful, deeper.  I believe God is our creator and He created us to have a relationship with Him, as well as each other and to not be alone. I believe as with husband and wife in the natural sense of the word, even though things might not be perfect in that relationship. God works all things out when we let Him, He'll give you wisdom and guidance needed, as that was true in mine.  But through my relationship with God.

Jim was a romantic and the “perfect” gentlemen - very much the courtship type of guy...  When we first started dating, I wasn’t sure how to take it.  I didn’t really grow up with an outward showing of affection, like with hugs etc.  Or at least what I can remember.  I’m not complaining, just pointing out a possible reason as to why I didn’t know how to take my future husband's affection - intentions.  Of course, we had that physically attraction I believe God gives us, but it grew into something much deeper, and we were inseparable.   

The world has a certain view and it’s hard for them to understand why some marriages stay together when mistakes are made, even with some hurtful ones.  But for us I can only speak.  God is Love and through Him there is forgiveness and for those that are truly walking with Him they know His forgiveness and that you can forgive each other.  Forgiveness is there - when there is Love.   I loved Jim very much and through all the different challenges we had in our marriage.  I've shared with a few that I've been reading through notes and journals of Jim's.  Below are a few of his thoughts and writings I found and is perfect for today.




Her beauty was like the evening sunset over the desert as it sets with its brightly painted shades.  Shades of orange crimson and gold.

Her beauty was like the evening sunset over the desert as it falls fading of brightly painted shades of crimson and gold.

When my eyes first met hers, I knew she was mine.  With a little wave of her hand and a smile

Our love is the beauty of two entwined
Held so tightly our embrace
Her hair so soft covered my face
Eyes locked together piercing each sole
Mine becomes hers, hers now mine
With a touch so gentle
Hands and fingers joined
Outstretched arms
Lips touching lips
  
There has never been a time in my life when I have felt so deeply in love with you my bride ~
Oh, no doubt when we first fell in love the excitement and feelings were running like white water currents of a raging river ~
Riding the currents of early love was filled rapid anticipation of what might be around the next bend.
The sense of danger at times only added to the rush of adrenaline through our body’s as we laughed and cried over the same river we ride.
They say a white river runs shallow
This may well be true, as our love grows from something hollow to the deep waters of the slow and wide river.  July 2008 JMB

What I've share written from my husband journal is very personal to me.  It's important to note he spent much of his latter life in pain afflicted by his illness struggling up and down in his shorten life.  He would say make the most of your time loving each other as the Lord loves you, for God is Love, Love is unconditional. Sometimes what we place importance on isn't.  We worry about temporal things in this life and usually need realigned when things go wrong.  Jim and I never truly celebrated Valentine's Day but I'm happy that we shared in the Fathers Love.

Over his illness Jim wrote - The thing that makes me sad is how all this is affecting Vicky; I so much want her to be happy.  After the Lord she's the most important person in my life - The kids hold and equal but separate place in my heart - They are after all, flesh of my flesh, bone of my bone - or shall I say flesh of our flesh, bone of our bones.  July 2008 JMB

I haven't even scratched the surface of all his writings but thankful I have them.  I think of him every day and a day doesn't go by without missing our talks.  Happy Valentine's Day ~

Love in Jesus,
Vicky

BTW   What is Love?  1John 4:7-21 and some ~

I'm adding this pic of something I found recently - as of last year and had to have it. I really speaks of what Jim always said even as I shared above. Updated - 2/14/22




No comments: