Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Posole


Ingredients:

1 - 12 oz. package of White Corn Posole (I purchased mine from Los Chileros)
8 cups - plus of homemade broth (but not all at once) I used what I had in the freezer. It happened to be turkey and turned out fabulous.
1 1/2 -2 pounds lean pork cut into small chunks

1 large onion diced (rough not perfect)

2 - 3 large cloves of garlic minced

fresh or dried oregano (to taste) I used Greek from my garden bed

salt - to taste posole is very bland (I use Kosher)

Hatch Green Chili roasted, pealed, seeded and hot
(again to your taste)

Fresh cilanto or dried leaves for garnish


First I picked through and rinsed several times the white corn posole. Then I covered it with water, added salt and brought it to a boil over medium - medium high heat. After it comes to a boil; turn the heat off. Cover the posole and let soak for an hour or more. Just as you would when cooking dry beans.




Please keep in mind this recipe takes time but isn't difficult. Posole takes longer to cook then most all dried beans I've cooked in the same way. Some people make there's in a pressure cooker or purchase the posole in the can. It still needs to be rinsed thoroughly.
I then pre-cooked the pork, but not completely through, more like lightly browning.


When partly done added onion and garlic. Season some with salt.

When I thought the pork was ready; I drained the posole, rinsed and placed in a larger pot and added my broth -




(But not all the broth. As it cooks and since the posole takes so long; throughout the cooking you may have to keep adding broth. You want to make sure it stays covered and doesn't get dry). I then added the pork, onion and garlic.
Here's now where it take some time. On a medium heat let cooked covered. Check often and stir. Making sure it doesn't loose the broth. At some point add the oregano. Cover let cook. I then got my chilies ready.
I kept them in my freezer. So since they were already roasted all I needed to do was to let them thaw. I then removed the skins and stems and rinsed under cool water making sure the seeds were out. If the chili is already hot, leaving the seeds in make it very hot.
Chop and place in the pot.

At this point test a some posole and see if its softening up. It will not be mushy but tender when done. When you think it to your liking. Serve it up with fresh tortillas and a nice glass of cool Riesling wine. We purchased an inexpensive Riesling "Spatlese" from Peter Mertes a German brand. It was surprising pleasant and was light, crisp and had a slight sweetness but not to much. It went nicely with the Posole.

Enjoy!

Los Chileros de nuevo meico http://888eatchile.com/

No comments: