Monday, March 26, 2018

Palm Sunday 2018 ~

Yesterday was Palm Sunday; it rather escaped my mind though I knew it was coming.  I imagine I was preoccupied and not paying attention to the calendar.  I got ready for church as usual and headed in.  It was a wonderful surprise to see the children participating in the service.  It brought back wonderful memories for me when Jim and I celebrated our first Palm Sunday together.  Jim took me to a Monastery; I believe a Franciscan out in Paradise Valley, AZ.  It was a very long time ago and I of course can’t ask Jim.  It was way out – desert setting, beautiful.  I tried looking for it but I’m quite curtain its appearance has changed with growth.  I had never been to one before and was curious of course, he though was brought up catholic. 

Upon our arrival we were handed palm leaves and that’s what always stuck with me.  We brought them home and Jim fashioned a cross in which he hung up.  We kept the leaves over the years and after moving so many times I believe they ended up in a book.  Seeing the children waving palm branches Sunday brought those memories back and not just of my first Palm Sunday with Jim but remembering Jesus and His triumphal entry, John 12:12, into Jerusalem that soon ended as He headed up to Calgary. 

It was God’s love for us that Jesus died on that tree.  He paid the debt that we owed for our sins.  The Bible tells us that the natural man, can’t comprehend (discern) the things that are of spirit and that it's foolishness to them, 1Corinthians 2:14.  So it’s hard for many to understand what Jesus did for mankind with their minds and the spiritual part of man needs to be addressed.  Every person born has a longing that is there.  Something that needs filled, a void if you will that is only temporarily filled with something.  Man cannot in all they try to do fill what they’re not even sure is missing and make excuses why not to believe.  Jesus can and will if you accept His gift, Romans 6:23.  God in His Word says if you seek Him with your whole heart you will find Him, Jeremiah 29:13.  I went to church and believed in God but that wasn’t enough.  Still something was missing in my life - Jim helped me see what that was, Jesus Himself said "He stands at the door and knocks," Revelations 30:20.  Palm Sunday was just a part of what the Lord showed me through Jim that day.    

Jim mentioned in his blog post I read this morning that our moving to Ohio was for that “once in a lifetime opportunity.”  Then added.  .  .

“One thing is for sure there's nothing in life that occurs only "once in a lifetime" except for ones true acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Lord and savior.” 

I know this is true for me in my life.  I’m thankful that Jesus loved a sinner like me so much that He prepared a place for me eternally and that I will see Jim again and all those that accepted God’s free gift through His Son. 
I pray on your behalf that you take this “once in a lifetime opportunity,” and seek the Lord with your whole heart – you won’t be disappointed.  Oh and the cool thing is the Tomb that Jesus was laid in is to this day empty, John 20:1- this gives us hope and assurance of eternity with Him.  I hope to see you. V


This was quite the movie back in the day but gives an account for Palm Sunday though never called that in the Bible.  But they took palm leaves. . . People still walk the path that Jesus did in Jerusalem this very day.



1 comment:

Eileen said...

Vicky,
It was such a joy to see you comment on my blog. As I was reading your post about the palms, It reminded me of my Uncle John who made crosses out of palm fronds for each family member one Easter. My Mom had that cross for years and always had it hanging on her bureau mirror.

Blessings,

Eileen