Thursday, December 14, 2023

Christmas Time Is Here ~

How many of you grew up watching A Charlie Brown Christmas?

Christmas time is here  

Happiness and cheer  

Fun for all that children call 

Their favorite time of the year ~

It sure was a favorite of mine and has been for many a folk [as my younger sister might say] 'for years' debuting on December 9, 1965. A different time for sure which I believe even Charlie Brown would agree our world sure has changed from what we knew it to be. 

What seemed to make that time so special? For a lot of us, the kids portrayed in this wonderful classic we could identify with many. if not all the characters. Even Snoopy - though I would hate to think his characteristics could be overlooked, at times he seemed almost human!

The kids were not perfect, in fact at times some could be downright mean and sound uncaring about others and their feelings. Charlie Brown certainly took the brunt of it with looking at least less than average at times to those who assumed the popular role and treated him so, maybe just Lucy as there always seems to one thorn. They in turn weren't a big deal to begin with but were self-centered learning some valued listens we could and can take away by the gifted writer.

As all things time pasted from when I was younger. Life was so different and oddly my thoughts about how things should be are very much the same. Not everything, mind you, but what should have priority in our lives I guess I just saw things differently than most [maybe]; my Pap said when I was about four years old I had perception, I've been that way my whole life. Much of who I am is weaved throughout my blog written to encourage others and as a time-capsule, if you will, for my children and family. My boys had a short opportunity to sit with their great gram and pap listening to stories of old. Much like me, even my uncle continued that "tradition" of storytelling living through the past of valued lessons. I loved every moment of it. Though they are no longer telling stories - I try to remember best I can - I've even heard stories told to my boys that they've shared with me. We all have stories to enjoy and set around together and share. Like the Walton's LOL I'm sure most of those my age that were in school with me would be surprised to know I loved the Walton's, also I was not the person that I was portrayed to be but was blessed with a better outcome that took a bit longer to get to than Charlie Brown's.

This year I told my son's and a few friends I would not be shopping or decorating big. I think I used the "I'm not celebrating." Clarifying here 'normal' to the world of disappointing expectations placed on people and exhausting pressures of celebrating a holiday. I do love seeing children's happy faces and gifts of love given but not overload with stuff that is only forgotten a few days later, not even knowing the real meaning as why we celebrate in the first place.

I will and do celebrate this time set aside to recognize a Savior born - Christ the LORD. As I knew a very long time ago when I was younger - now much more, I didn't need nor was I showered with gifts, but I enjoyed going into town seeing lights and decorations, having a family dinner - seeing a tiny tree in a very big picture window showing off a background of glistening snow that kissed all the trees and beautiful ice cycles hanging from the eves that seemed to glow as the light touch them. These are beautiful memories I love keeping them all close to my heart, but never forgetting why I celebrate. 


And there is more to the story which I will share in a few verses though there are many more.

Therefore the LORD himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Emmanuel. [Immanuel, God with us] Isaiah7:14 ESV

Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave [servant] and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal's death on a cross. Philippians 2:7-8 NLT

They put him to death by hanging him on a tree, but God raised him on the third and made him to appear, not to all the people but to us who had been chosen by God as witnesses, who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. Acts 10:39-41 ESV

The Bible also tells us he is coming back he will be restoring all things. This is another reason to celebrate! Amen

Merry Christmas and God's blessing to you all in the coming New Year! As always, my prayer would be that if you don't know Him in a personal relationship don't wait.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13 NIV - Amen VB

All smiles here ~

No comments: